Ralph Lauren

1 Feb

When I go shopping, I like to know how to pronouce the name of the shop I’m giving my money to. Luckily Kmart, Target, IGA and Liqourland are all pretty straightforward.

But should I ever have the need to purchase some overpriced polo-themed wankery, I’ll head to Ralph Lauren. This raises a question, however: is it Ralph Law-ren, or Ralph Low-ren?

To save us all future embarrassment, learn it now: the second word is pronounced like the girl’s name, as in ‘Ralph Lauren Bacall’. Think of this picture whenever you need to namedrop the makers of your latest overpriced t-shirt; no need to thank me.

Ralph Lauren Bacall

Nice tat, love.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Ralph Lauren”

1. RET February 1, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Polo Ralph Lauren

“When I first got out [to L.A.] I tried dressing like a hootchie. I tried acting like a hootchie, but it didn’t work. I guess I’m just not a hootchie at heart.”
    She said, apparently.

2. Dan February 2, 2011 at 12:11 am #

How do you pronounce Lauren Bacall? Is it Law-ren Bacall or Low-ren Bacall? Looks like I’ll have to stick with Kmart …

3. mel February 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

If you don’t know how to pronounce her name, you don’t even deserve Kmart. Might I suggest The Reject Shop?

4. Dan February 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Hmpf! If that’s how you treat your commenters then I think I’ll take my business to another chicken-themed literary blog …

5. theliteratechicken February 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Damn it! One commenter down… I’ve only got two left. Least successful blog ever!

6. shaunthompson February 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

How do you pronounce “Target” cos I’ve heard some different interpretations of that one.

7. theliteratechicken February 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Tar-get. Unless you’re middle class with wanky aspirations – I don’t want to make assumptions about your character, random internet person.

8. Dan February 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

I think I’ve just found a new business model for Literate Chicken: you should do elocution lessons, perhaps combined with a shopping tour of Sydney. It’ll be a goldmine. And K-mart is pronounced K-Marché.

9. Emma February 3, 2011 at 11:19 am #

But what about Ralph Fiennes? Isn’t he ‘Raff’? Is it Raff Lauren?

10. shaunthompson February 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Actually I think it’s pronounced Rayf. And he gets kind of stroppy if you mispronounce it, unless you’re a flight attendant.