Dedication: the cover (and its four thrilling sequels)

8 Sep

Why does one book need five versions of the cover? Okay, once it hit New York Times bestseller status (WTF?) it could have used an update telling everyone how great (?) it was. But what’s the explanation for the others?

For the record, the copy I reviewed features the half-girl looking up while posing on an overstuffed suitcase.

Why so many covers, Dedication?

Sooo… which do you prefer?

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Dedication: the cover (and its four thrilling sequels)”

1. ret56fe September 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

The first one is naff, and the second one just hateful. At least the third one is something a bit different.

The last two both appear to be missing a diagonal stripe across one corner that screams “NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE”.

However, I suspect I am *not* the target market for this literature 😉

• literatechicken September 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

You never know, Richard – perhaps they’re trying to branch out and capture that elusive male 40-something market?

And you’re right about the MAJOR MOTION PICTURE bit. The authors also wrote The Nanny Diaries, which did become a movie, so maybe they’re trying to plant more seeds in the movie-makers’ minds…

2. Sascha September 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Five covers? Obviously the editor, publisher, Sub, advertising guru and art director just couldn’t agree! I think i’m going to have to go with the 2nd image, sorry ret56fe. I like to make up my own image of what the characters will look like. The 3rd book cover is also ok. The rest are just terrible.

• literatechicken September 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I thought the same thing – they just let everyone have a bash at it!

I also don’t like being told what the characters look like – mind you, I imagined her looking totally different to the girl on the first cover anyway! DEFINITELY don’t like seeing the guy (part of the fun of having a gorgeous male character is being able to imagine this mysterious hottie). So I guess the 2nd one wins by default… I don’t think it could scream “I’M CHICK LIT!!” any louder though.

Also, I just realised – what the hell is she doing in the 5th one? Why is she lying on his shoulder like that? Not to mention that the book is set in Vermont, in winter, in non-stop snow… where is this meadow? Argh – too many questions!

3. aim33 September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I like the third one, and would like the fifth one if it wasn’t so strange. What exactly *is* she doing on his shoulder like that? Side planking?

• literatechicken September 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I know, so bizarre! How did they ever think that would look at all natural?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dedication « - September 8, 2011

[…] This is the first post on this book – here‘s a note on its cover […]